Our Brisbane-based psychiatrists and psychologists have been providing consults through telehealth to regional areas for over 6 years.
Below, we have provided a brief overview, describing the use of telehealth in psychiatry and psychology, key requirements and benefits of utilising telehealth.
- Telehealth is the use of audio-visual technologies to deliver medical consultations to patients.
- Psychiatrist and psychologists can provide the same services through a telehealth platform, as they do in face-to-face sessions.
- A psychiatrist can still prescribe medications, after a telehealth consultation.
- According to many sources, including The Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists, telehealth sessions work just as well as face to face sessions.
- At Takes Care Specialist Centre, our psychiatrists and psychologists have observed that it does not take too long before the presence of the screen becomes unnoticeable for the patient and clinician.
- Examples of technologies that could be used include Skype, Zoom, WhatsApp and FaceTime
- With patient’s consent, the only other person that may be attending the initial assessment or subsequent sessions would someone that is close to the patient who can provide collateral information or maybe in the safety plan of the patient.
- If the appointment is conducted at a medical centre, the patient’s GP attends the last several minutes of the psychiatry appointment, and where needed for the psychology appointments.
Requirements of Organising Successful Telehealth Sessions
Benefits of Telehealth
- Increased Access: As a result of telehealth, many people in regional Australia, where there is limited access to specialist services, can now access psychiatry and psychology services.
- Reduced Costs to the Patients: Telehealth services are shown to be less costly that face-to-face sessions.
- Less travelling time: The use of telehealth services has reduced travelling times, as many residents of regional areas must travel considerable distances to access specialist medical services.
- Better Patient Experience: It eliminates travelling time and sitting in waiting rooms
- Effective for Aged Care Facility Residents: As mobility for many aged care residents is challenging, aged care residents can access quality health care through utilising a telehealth platform.
If you have any further queries or wish to organise an appointment, please feel free to call the friendly staff of Takes Care Specialist Centre on 07 3870 9388